Sunday, August 2, 2015

August Angst

About this time every year I am struck with the realization that summer is almost over (at least the work-break part of summer), and I still have a mountain of to-dos to be done before the first day of class on August 24.  Testing students for fall registration (Step 2 of the registration process) has already claimed significant space on my July calendar, and my August calendar is filled with student registrations, syllabus creation, in-service, and a workshop to present.

Every semester, I am torn by the conflict between the the mandate to create a syllabus reflecting departmental requirements and the desire to have a student-driven classroom. The syllabus should be easy. Just take what I had for last fall and change the dates, right? But it's never that simple because I've accumulated more resources and ideas since I wrote last year's syllabus.  How can I accommodate our program's mandates for grammar and process writing while still incorporating technology, process drama, music, listening, more reading…?  The key lies in flexibility.  As I did last year, keep the syllabus general and vague enough that I can bend it to accommodate student needs, interests, and proficiency levels.  I know in my heart of hearts that despite my present August Angst and the mounds of books and papers adorning my home office, it will all fall into place, and I will be ready to greet my new students on August 24, syllabus in hand.    

No comments:

Post a Comment